Thursday, February 3, 2011

Camp Conley

















Carroll County is still recovering from the snow storm... roads are one lane and not that safe, so if you don't have to don't leave home. I have been checking Face Book every day and the photos of the storm that people have posted are just amazing..it reminds me of the snow we had when I was little and living out in the country. Snow banks 3 times as high as a car, great for jumping off of. No school for days, and just lots of time to play, build forts, igloos, and stock up on snowballs. My older brothers,( I had 2) would build these amazing forts and come evening they would get buckets of water and pour over the snow walls. Talk about a fort, those frozen iced up walls were not going anywhere. Plus, they would ice up the stash of snowballs they had made ahead. I remember running into the house crying because they used me as a moving target! There is not much worse than a FROZEN snowball smacking you. I can still hear them yell "Run" and I would, as if my life depended on it. Brothers, you gotta love them (or they will kill you).
Baxter and I bundled up and ventured outside for a while yesterday. He loves the snow and I have to be careful not to have him outside to long. He bounded through the drifts and would turn around and look at me as if to say "hurry up". The snow in our circle drive was almost hip high at spots from the drifting so I was not moving very fast. It felt good to get out in the fresh air and play, but it felt even better to get back inside, strip off all the layers of clothing and sit down with a hot cup of coffee. Baxter came in and was so excited he grabbed one of his toys and did his little thing, running around the couch 5 or 6 times and then plopping down. I love this bulldog breed! They take almost no exercise, just little bits here and there... like me.
The title of this post Camp Conley comes from years ago when my husband Joe would have company from Chicago and big cities, they loved it out here and christened our 4 acres in the woods Camp Conley. I liked that so much that I had a couple of baseball caps made with that logo on them. Sometimes when I am out shopping someone will come up to me and ask me where that is, I always smile and say, it is just my home..

No comments:

Post a Comment